Getting Started

/Getting Started
Complying Development

In 2009, the NSW Government released the Affordable Housing State Environment Planning Policy (SEPP) which permits all residential home-owners with a property larger then 450m² (which also has a minimum 12m street frontage) to build a Granny Flat on their property if their property is considered to be complying. A Granny Flat is a self-contained small house (with a maximum living space of 60m²) which is built in the backyard of an already existing house.

With this change comes a new and exciting way of the client experience with Granny Flat applications.


Home-owners wanting to build a Granny Flat in their backyard are no longer required to obtain Council approval as long as their application meets the minimum Complying Development requirements that have been set out. For more information, click on the NSW Government Granny Flat Fact Sheet.

How Little Aussie Homes can help

To save you time and stress, our Little Aussie Homes Design specialist can prepare and submit all the applications and documents required to the Private Certifier to obtain approval of your new Little Home.

If your property does not meet all the conditions required to be a Complying Development, your Granny Flat can still be approved by lodging a Development Application (DA), which can only be approved by your local Council.

We will take care of this experience for you and submit all the applications and documents on your behalf.

Please note:
  • These requirements DO NOT guarantee approval of a Granny Flat on a property.
  • A site investigation will be required in order to determine the suitability of a Granny Flat on the property.
  • A Section 149 (part 2) Planning Certificate is required from your local council to ensure there are no restrictions or planning issues that affect the property.